Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hamster babies

Hello! I’m brand new to the blogging world but have thought about blogging many times. Let’s face it, my life is always entertaining. I have 3 kids, 2 fish, 2 hamsters, 1 dog and a husband; you better believe we always have a story. Did I mention we had 2 hamsters? Let me start with that story. About 2-3 weeks ago, my son came to me with the bright idea of getting another pet. I was open to the idea, but being a planner and a researcher, I started researching. Now, he didn’t want an ordinary pet, no… he wanted a mouse. See, we had been to a local pet store earlier in the week and saw the cutest little mice, but as cute as they were, I was totally opposed to this idea. I mean it is a rodent. He talked of guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, etc. You name it, he was asking. I started asking friends about past experiences and scouring the Internet for help on these critters. After reading every possible Internet website and watching every video, we decided to go for the fancy mice, but we wanted female. We went to the pet store, which only sold male animals, and bought all our supplies for these mice and then traveled about 20 minutes to the next town’s pet store, where the female were sold. When we got there,they were sold out. So, on to the next pet store we went. Next store didn’t have them. Neither did the next one. We went to a total of 5 pet stores that night. Before we arrived at the fifth one, the kids were all crying in the backseat because we had no mice that they had looked forward to getting and it was also bedtime, being that it was now 8:45. We stopped at the fifth pet store, they didn’t have them either, but they had hamsters. Now I told the kids we didn’t want hamsters because I heard they were mean. We got to play with them, and they were so cute and friendly and on an impulse; I said we’ll take them. Now at this particular store, they had the male and females mixed together in the same area. I asked the pet store associate what the chances were of these hamsters being pregnant. She looked at them, as if she knew what she was doing, and said very assuredly, no, they are not pregnant.  Well, let me tell you that 11 days later, we have baby hamsters. Oh yes, how many you ask? Oh, only 15! Wow, 15?! This coming from someone who wasn’t even sure they wanted a rodent in the first place. Now I’ll admit, after I went to sleep that night we came home from the pet store, I was feeling some major buyer’s remorse. I felt like we really shouldn’t have bought these little girls. I mean I did all the research on mice, not hamsters. Believe it or not, they are a lot different. But a few days changed my mind, and I love these little hamsters. Now, I have to find homes for all these little hammies or they will be going back to the pet store. In the meantime, we’re learning a lot about caring for newborn hamsters and the mothers. It’s always an adventure around here and I’ve got plenty of stories to tell.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging!!! You will love it! Oh, and no....we don't want a hamster!

    ReplyDelete