Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Price Check


Have you ever been to Wal-Mart in the checkout and been stuck behind that person who slows the line down? You know who I’m talking about. Well I hate to admit it but I was that person the other night. But let me explain… I absolutely hate it when a store advertises a price and even has that price listed on the shelf but when it rings up; it rings up a higher price. Wal-Mart is the worlds worst about this. In fact, when I was in college, I had a marketing class and our assignment was to go to two different stores and purchase the exact same products. We didn’t only have to purchase them but we had to carry a notebook in the store and write down the listed price and then compare that price with our receipt once we got home. Wal-Mart had many higher priced receipts than the listed price and our professor said that this was always true of Wal-Mart. So with all that being said, I was at Wal-Mart the other night and I was buying ice cream. My youngest son can’t have milk products, so I spotted a small container of ice cream made with coconut milk. It was listed as $3.00. Now $3.00 is a bit high but seeing as he’s not supposed to have the other kind of ice cream, I decided to buy it for him. When I got to the register, it rang up $4.48. I stopped the cashier and said, “Sir, this is supposed to be $3.00.” He looked at the register tape and said, “No ma’am, it’s $4.48.” So I kindly replied, “it’s SUPPOSED to be $3.00.” He rudely said “well it’s not, do you want it?” (Did I mention, customer service is not their strong suit, anyways, that’s a whole other blog) I said, “Yes I want it, but I want it for the price that it says on the shelf, $3.00.” He said the only way he could give me that price is if he saw if for himself. Now, I know he and the people behind me wanted me to say, don’t worry about it, but I actually said, “Ok, it’s right over there on that first freezer aisle”. He looked at me and said ok and walked away. I know to some people $1.48 may not be worth the trouble, but to me it is. Plus, it drives me crazy that they do this. The lady behind me turned to the man behind her and started saying something about waiting, not exactly sure what she said, but I know it was an ugly statement intended for me. I did hear the man behind her reply “I don’t mind waiting, I’m in no hurry.” She then turned back around and looked completely irritated so I said to her, “Ma’am, I apologize for making him leave, I know that’s very frustrating for you and the people waiting but I simply cannot stand the way Wal-Mart lists a price and then it rings up higher. It drives me crazy, so I’m sorry.” She looked at me and said “Oh it’s ok, at least you’re paying attention.” I wanted to say back to her, well that’s not what you just said to the guy standing behind you, but I didn’t J. Anyways, the cashier comes back and says “You’re right, it is supposed to be $3.00, I’ll change it.” He then said I don’t know why Wal-Mart does that.” Really?! This is a big pet peeve of mine, because I know it’s just $1.48, but let’s say that happens to several things on your list, you could wind up paying much more than you planned. My little rant is over now; check your receipt when you leave there. 


Disclaimer: I'm not saying don't shop there, just pay attention when you check out. 

1 comment:

  1. I get this all the time at Walmart, especially with produce. Watch, watch, watch!

    ReplyDelete